International Foundation Year
What is the International Foundation Year?
A three-term programme which will provide you with the academic and English language skills required to succeed at undergraduate level. It is the ideal pathway to integrating with direct-entry students when you progress to your degree.
You can choose one of our subject pathways, designed especially for your progression degree:
After completing the International Foundation Year and successfully meeting the progression grades for your chosen degree course, you will have the opportunity to progress to undergraduate study at the University.
You can choose from many options, including single honours, joint honours and major/minor combination degrees.
Who can study the International Foundation Year?
This programme is for students from around the world, excluding countries in the EU. Students who have completed high school education but require further preparation before entry to undergraduate study are welcome.
What will you learn?
Once you have completed the International Foundation Year you will be able to:
- Communicate in academic English to a level that enables you to effectively participate in an undergraduate degree
- Demonstrate knowledge, understanding and intellectual skills in your academic subject, at a level equivalent to AS/A level standard (RQF Level 3)
- Research, analyse and critically evaluate academic sources, both paper-based and electronic
- Construct evidence-based arguments and present these in a coherent and cohesive manner in writing with due acknowledgement of sources
- Organise your studies efficiently
- Make effective use of relevant IT skills
- Learn to work independently, as well as in groups.